Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is adapted from one in Bento Boxes by Naomi Kijima. It is scaled for a single lunchbox (bento box) sized serving. Add this to a big bowl of rice and veggies, maybe with some Japanese type pickles, and you have a great lunch! This recipe is not a quick recipe, though; cooking time includes marinating time. I would suggest starting the chicken in the marinade, then starting your rice, then fixing everything else while you wait for these two to finish.
- Mix first 3 ingredients together in bowl big enough to hold the chicken. Add the chicken. Let this marinate for 30 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Take the chicken out and pat dry. Reserve marinade. Put chicken skin side down (if you aren't using skinless) in pan and cook until browned on that side (just a minute or two) and then flip and brown the other side.
- Pour reserved marinade over chicken and cover tightly. Lower heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and raise heat back to medium high. Reduce marinade until it is more of a glaze. Toss chicken in glaze to cover.
- NOTE: You could certainly substitute beef or tofu for the chicken in this recipe. Just adjust the cooking accordingly.
This recipe is so good! I can't believe how wonderful it was! I did everything it said, but I 4X the recipe and used 3 chicken breasts cut up. I cooked it in my wok. I will be making this again! Made for ZWT4.