1/2 Photos of Bento Chicken Teriyaki
This recipe is adapted from one in Bento Boxes by Naomi Kijima. It is scaled for a single lunchbox (bento box) sized serving. Add this to a big bowl of rice and veggies, maybe with some Japanese type pickles, and you have a great lunch! This recipe is not a quick recipe, though; cooking time includes marinating time. I would suggest starting the chicken in the marinade, then starting your rice, then fixing everything else while you wait for these two to finish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix first 3 ingredients together in bowl big enough to hold the chicken. Add the chicken. Let this marinate for 30 minutes, turning over halfway through.
- 2Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- 3Take the chicken out and pat dry. Reserve marinade. Put chicken skin side down (if you aren't using skinless) in pan and cook until browned on that side (just a minute or two) and then flip and brown the other side.
- 4Pour reserved marinade over chicken and cover tightly. Lower heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 5 minutes.
- 5Remove cover and raise heat back to medium high. Reduce marinade until it is more of a glaze. Toss chicken in glaze to cover.
- 6NOTE: You could certainly substitute beef or tofu for the chicken in this recipe. Just adjust the cooking accordingly.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bento Chicken Teriyaki
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.3
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 1177.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 23.0 g