Recipe by grneyedmustang
This recipe will make smothered chicken, just like Bennigan's!! Serve with baked potatoes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (found on condiments aisle)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 8 slices provolone cheese (use more or less to your liking)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons hickory liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Marinade meat in covered bowl or plastic bag for at least 30 min.
- While chicken is marinating, slice onions and mushrooms and cook your bacon.
- Saute mushrooms and onions in butter and hickory smoke flavor for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are transparent but not brown and mushrooms are tender.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and grill* (if you would prefer to cook it in the oven, instructions are below) for about 10 minutes.
- Do not overcook chicken!
- While grilling, preheat oven on broil.
- After chicken is done, remove from grill and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Cover each breast with a strip of bacon, then provolone cheese, then some sauteed onions and mushrooms.
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- *Oveninstructions: Preheat oven on broil.
- Broil chicken, 5 to 7 inches from broiler element, for about 10 minutes.
- Watch the chicken carefully!
- About 6 minutes into broiling, top chicken with bacon strips.
- Once the chicken and bacon is done, remove from oven, top with cheese and mushroom/onion mixture, and broil for 2-3 minutes more.
- Watch carefully; sometimes the grease from the bacon will ignite if not careful.