Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe will make smothered chicken, just like Bennigan's!! Serve with baked potatoes.
Make and share this Bennigan's smothered chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (found on condiments aisle)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 8 slices provolone cheese (use more or less to your liking)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons hickory liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Marinade meat in covered bowl or plastic bag for at least 30 min.
- While chicken is marinating, slice onions and mushrooms and cook your bacon.
- Saute mushrooms and onions in butter and hickory smoke flavor for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are transparent but not brown and mushrooms are tender.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and grill* (if you would prefer to cook it in the oven, instructions are below) for about 10 minutes.
- Do not overcook chicken!
- While grilling, preheat oven on broil.
- After chicken is done, remove from grill and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Cover each breast with a strip of bacon, then provolone cheese, then some sauteed onions and mushrooms.
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- *Oveninstructions: Preheat oven on broil.
- Broil chicken, 5 to 7 inches from broiler element, for about 10 minutes.
- Watch the chicken carefully!
- About 6 minutes into broiling, top chicken with bacon strips.
- Once the chicken and bacon is done, remove from oven, top with cheese and mushroom/onion mixture, and broil for 2-3 minutes more.
- Watch carefully; sometimes the grease from the bacon will ignite if not careful.