Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the best onion soup recipe i've tasted. Truly gourmet.
- 1⁄2 lb firm white onion, -- sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart beef broth
- 8 slices French bread
- 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, -- shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, -- grated
- Saute onions in butter and oil until onions are transparent, but not well browned.
- When tender, turn heat to lowest point and sprinkle with flour, stirring vigorously.
- Pour into Dutch oven and stir in broths.
- Heat thoroughly and divide among 8 oven-proof bowls.
- Mix equal parts of cheese to smooth paste and spread over bread.
- Float a slice ofbread atop each serving.
- Place all bowls on oven rack 4" from broiler heat and broil until cheese melts.
- Serve at once.
- Leftover soup freezes well up to 6 months.
This is truly a great onion soup! We loved it. Thanks.