Recipe by Mysterygirl
Bennigan's makes the most awesome Monte Cristo sandwiches. A great break from the usual toasted ham & cheese.
Top Review by Miss Annie
Boy were these babies good! I really liked making this recipe, and it didn't take very long. We had a nice lunch of these sandwiches and fruit salad. All of the flavors together were so good. Thanks for sharing this keeper!!
- 9 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 slices cooked turkey
- 3 slices cooked ham
- 3 slices American cheese
- 3 slices swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on another slice of bread.
- Place third slice.
- in-between and secure the triple-decker sandwich in the corners with tooth picks.
- Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat together.
- Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Beat batter until smooth.
- Dip sandwich in batter and carefully cover all the sides and surface.
- Carefully place in hot oil and fry until golden.
- When sandwich has turned a warm gold color remove from hot oil and place on paper towel.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing the tooth picks.
- Before serving slice into fourths and sprinkle.
- with powder sugar.
- Serve with Raspberry jam.