Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
A classmate made these once and I loved them so that I asked for the recipe. So different and so tasty!
- 1 cup sesame seeds (5 ounces)
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- 2⁄3 cup cold milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toast sesame seeds in a pie pan for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Transfer toasted seeds to plate to cool.
- In a lg bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening til mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in sesame seeds; add milk and mix til blended.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead briefly.
- Divide dough in half; roll out as thinly as possible (at most 1/4" thick).
- Cut out using 2" cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or til deep golden brown.
- Let cool slightly; transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Wafers can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.