Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came out of Southern Living many years ago. I haven't seen any recipes like it on Recipezaar. Prep time includes 1 hour chill time for the dough.
- 118.29 ml sesame seeds (benne)
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 414.03 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- Cook sesame seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in sesame seeds, egg, and vanilla.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; stir into butter mixture. Cover dough, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Shape into 1/2-inch balls; place on lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/16-inch thickness with floured fingers or a flat-bottomed glass.
- Bake at 325 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool.