Recipe by Robs415
This recipe came out of Southern Living many years ago. I haven't seen any recipes like it on Recipezaar. Prep time includes 1 hour chill time for the dough.
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds (benne)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sesame seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in sesame seeds, egg, and vanilla.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; stir into butter mixture. Cover dough, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Shape into 1/2-inch balls; place on lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/16-inch thickness with floured fingers or a flat-bottomed glass.
- Bake at 325 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool.