Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine's May 2003 issue. These pita toasts make perfect scoops for your favourite dip. They can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Recrisp them prior to serving by popping them into a 375 F oven for 3-4 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 pita bread, 6-7 inch with pockets, halved horizontally
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons melted butter in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk in salt, the remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter and the sesame seeds.
- Brush the rough sides of the pita halves with butter mixture, stirring the mixture well before brushing each subsequent half. Cut each pita half into 8 wedges and arrange, seeded sides up, in 1 layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, switching positon of the baking sheets half way through, baking until golden, 10-12 minutes total. Cool toasts on a rack.