Recipe by Porfavorcorona
Benne cakes are a food from West Africa introduced to the Lowcountry area by slaves. "Benne" means sesame seeds. The sesame seeds are eaten for good luck.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Optional: Add just a "jot" of sesame oil to the butter and sugar while creaming the mixture.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Then add eggs and mix.
- Then add flour and mix.
- Then add sesame seeds and mix.
- Then add vanilla and mix.
- Then add baking powder and mix.
- Drop with a teaspoon onto a well-greased cookie pan, far enough apart to allow spreading while baking.
- (They will be thin when cooked).
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 7 to 10 minutes.