Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have adjusted the flour amount due to the review stating that they flattened out. Benne cakes are a food from West Africa. Benne means sesame seeds. The sesame seeds are eaten for good luck. I am posting this recipe as a effort to broaden my recipes to include different foods from different regions of the world. Hope you will all enjoy these.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly spray cookie sheet with oil.
- Mix together the brown sugar and butter, and beat until they are creamy.
- Stir in the egg, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, and sesame seeds.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are browned.
I'm afraid that these did not work out at all. They all spread out flat as a pancake and actually ran off my cookie sheet on to the oven. I've reviewed the ingredients and instructions carefully to make sure I followed them carefully.