I have adjusted the flour amount due to the review stating that they flattened out. Benne cakes are a food from West Africa. Benne means sesame seeds. The sesame seeds are eaten for good luck. I am posting this recipe as a effort to broaden my recipes to include different foods from different regions of the world. Hope you will all enjoy these.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2Lightly spray cookie sheet with oil.
- 3Mix together the brown sugar and butter, and beat until they are creamy.
- 4Stir in the egg, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- 5Add flour, baking powder, salt, and sesame seeds.
- 6Drop by rounded teaspoons onto the cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- 7Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are browned.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Benne Cakes (Sesame Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (695 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1540.1
- Calories from Fat 734
- Total Fat 81.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 166.7 mg
- Sodium 636.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 185.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 106.4 g
- Protein 29.4 g