1 hr 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Traditional Benin meals are not served in courses. Some families borrow a French custom and start meals with a plate of crudités--to add color to the meal. This recipe reflects this tradition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup yukon gold potato, 3/4-inch cubed and peeled
- 1 cup sweet potato, 3/4-inch cubed and peeled
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 3 small beets
- 10 bibb lettuce
- 10 small red cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1To prepare salad, place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl.
- 2Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add cauliflower and broccoli. Cook 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain. Add cauliflower mixture to potatoes.
- 3Using a vegetable peeler, scrape carrots from tip to stem to make long ribbons. Add carrot to potato mixture, tossing gently to combine.
- 4Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse with cold water. Drain; cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange lettuce and cabbage leaves alternately on a large platter.
- 5To prepare vinaigrette, combine thyme and next 5 ingredients (thyme through 1/8 teaspoon black pepper), stirring with a whisk. Add oil, stirring well to combine; drizzle vinaigrette over lettuce. Spoon potato mixture over lettuce; top with beets.
- 6To prepare dipping sauce, place chiles in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Place 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground chile in a medium bowl (reserve remaining ground chile for another use). Add cocktail sauce and remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine. Serve with vegetables.
Browse Our Top Cauliflower Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cauliflower Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Benin Style Vegetable Salad
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.6
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.6 mg
- Sodium 217.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seafood cocktail sauce