Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This traditional recipe is from the country of Benin and is always grilled over a wood fire. This recipe requires 1/4 cup apple wood chips for the grill.
- 2 dried habanero chiles
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (3 lb) striped bass, fillet (about 1 inch thick)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Cover apple wood chips with water, and soak for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Place chiles in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Place 1/8 teaspoon ground chile in a small bowl (reserve remaining ground chile for another use). Add oil, salt, and black pepper, stirring to combine. Rub spice mixture over fish; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Prepare grill.
- Place wood chips on hot coals. Coat a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil with cooking spray; pierce foil several times with a fork. Place foil on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Place fish on foil; arrange lemon slices over fish. Grill 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve immediately.