Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This comes from Yoshiaki Kirsana, a chef at a Houston Benihana restaurant. Yoshiaki was kind enough to submit this for publication in a local Methodist church's cookbook, published about 20 years agp.
Top Review by Jody Bode
This is the Authentic Version. It was also published by The Los Angeles Times in their "California Cookbook" in 1981. The other attempts at this recipe do not compare. They add too many strong or sugar filled ingredients. Great Job! P.S. I use regular vegetable oil instead of the soybean oil. It works just fine.
- 1⁄2 cup soybean oil
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, can use lite
- 1 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, coarsely choppes