Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a copycat of the Benihana Hibachi Steak, Shrimp, Chicken or Scallops served at the restaurant. Feel free to mix and match. Choose other Benihana copycat dishes and have a Benihana night in.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless beef top loin steaks, sliced thin or 3⁄4 lb boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces or 3⁄4 lb shrimp, deveined or 3⁄4 lb scallops
- 1 tablespoon grated apple
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Marinate meat in the sauce for 30 min or longer.
- Heat a frying pan or flat grill on high heat and stir-fry the meat until desired doneness – a few minutes at most.
This marinade for the Benihana chicken and steak smelled so good when I made it and great after the meat had marinaded but it's taste was good but not spot on for a copy-cat. We enjoyed it and it was very nice. Next time I would double the marinade for more flavor. It didn't cover the meat fully or soak in enough I think. If so it would be terrific. The grated apple added something unique. I paired it with very authentic ginger sauce and some other tasty dishes and it made a super special Benihana like meal. Don't get me wrong it is delish but not a perfect match to the restaurant. We will undoubtably make again. Thanks for posting Celticevergreen. Enjoy! ChefDLH
It was pretty good. When the chicken hit the griddle, it smelled like an Asian restaurant. Tasted pretty good. Will fix it again. Thanks for sharing!
I made this with chicken and it was just so so. It was fine and I paired it with rice. My family is used to a little more....spice or flavor. I'd probably add some red chile flakes or ginger garlic paste to add a little more zing to it. Overall, it was alright, but probably won't be requested by my team again.