1/2 Photos of Bengali Spinach
Posted for ZWT. From The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup raw almonds
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced green chili
- 2 lbs trimmed fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1Soak nuts in warm water for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2Drain, wash and drain again.
- 3Heat ghee in a large pot over moderate heat.
- 4When hot, but not smoking, add the spice seeds and sugar.
- 5Fry until the seeds darken and the sugar caramelizes.
- 6Add the ginger, chiles, spinach, nuts, coconut and salt.
- 7Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- 8Uncover, gently turn the spinach over. Add water if necessary.
- 9Cook for a further 10 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and heat through for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 10Garnish with lemon and serve.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bengali Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (408 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.9
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 2028.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 12.2 g