Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posted for ZWT. From The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi.
- 2⁄3 cup raw almonds
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced green chili
- 2 lbs trimmed fresh spinach
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Soak nuts in warm water for 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain, wash and drain again.
- Heat ghee in a large pot over moderate heat.
- When hot, but not smoking, add the spice seeds and sugar.
- Fry until the seeds darken and the sugar caramelizes.
- Add the ginger, chiles, spinach, nuts, coconut and salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, gently turn the spinach over. Add water if necessary.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and heat through for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon and serve.
This had the great taste that my son remembered from an Indian restaurant at college. We enjoyed this for our lunch today. made for ZWT8.
Nice amount of spice. I did use baby spinach so mine cooked very quickly.
Made for ZWT #8 Lively Lemon Lovelies