1/1 Photo of Bengali-Spiced Squash
This recipe makes wonderful, spicy, roasted squash. It comes from the 'delicious' magazine (november 2004) and appeared together with a very simple roasted ginger chicken. The chicken was a little bit lacking in taste, so I decided not to post it before having the recipe adapted. The squash was lovely, though. I chopped the leftovers and mixed it together with some pan-fried red pepper, chopped flat-leaf parsley, a little bit of olive oil, and lemon juice into couscous which I had cold for lunch. Yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb squash (2 kabocha squashes) or 1 lb butternut squash (900g)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium hot red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely grated (2.5 cm)
- 8 green cardamom pods, podded, seeds lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- 2Cut the kabocha or butternut squashes into long wedges (I sliced the upper part of the butternut squash and halved the slices) and remove the peel, seeds and fibres from each piece.
- 3Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion wedges, garlic, chilli and ginger to the pan and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring now and then, until the onions are just tender.
- 4Add the spices and cook for a few seconds more.
- 5Add the pieces of butternut squash and toss everything together until well coated in the spicy mixture.
- 6Put the squash into a roasting tin and roast it for 35-40 minutes, or until the squash is tender and lightly browned around the edges.
- 7This is delicious served together with roasted chicken and mint raita, made from chopped fresh mint into natural yogurt.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bengali-Spiced Squash
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods