Buster's friend's Note:
This subtly spiced sweet and sour curry comes from Sylhet in northeast Bangladesh by way of the Miami Herald. The article said the fruit was introduced in India during the 16th century by the Portuguese, who brought it from their colonies in Brazil. Serve with steamed rice and a stir-fried vegetable such as green beans or okra.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, roasted and ground (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and thinly sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 6 ounces pineapple, fresh, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 generous cup)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 lb fish fillet, firm-fleshed, white (such as haddock, halibut, sea bass or sole)
- 2 green chilies, fresh (such as serrano or Thai, thinly sliced into rings on the diagonal)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped fresh (heaping)
- 1Place the ground coriander, salt, turmeric and cayenne in a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to stir in ½ cup water to form a thin paste.
- 2Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until onions begin to turn pale caramel at the edges, about 4 minutes. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, until the oil pools on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3Add the pineapple and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost dried up, about 2 minutes. Add about ¾ cup water and the sugar; bring to a boil. Simmer until the pineapple is tender and the mixture thickens slightly, 5 to 6 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt and sugar.
- 4Add the fish and chile slices; reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning the fish once (take care not to break the pieces), 3 to 4 minutes, adding a little water if necessary, until fish is just cooked through. Garnished with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bengali Fish With Pineapple
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.2
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 62.3 mg
- Sodium 673.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 27.1 g