Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a mild to medium-hot recipe for marinade that works well with chicken. It makes enough to coat one chicken. If you want to serve with lots of veggies, just double.
- 14.79 ml fenugreek seeds
- 2.46 ml onion seeds
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder
- 2.46 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml coriander powder
- 2.46 ml cumin powder
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cleaned
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- fresh ginger (1 thumb-sized piece)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeds and all)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (washed, long stems cut off)
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt (An unthickened type of yogurt works best)
- Roast the fenugreek and onion seeds first by heating and tossing in a sauté pan for several minutes. Grind them together using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder.
- In a food processor, blend fenugreek and onion seeds with the salt, garam masala, turmeric, curry powder, coriander powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic, vegetable oil, ginger, jalapeños, cilantro and lemon juice until all the ingredients become a smooth paste.
- Spoon the mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in the yogurt.
- Marinate meat or fish for eight hours (or bathe first in white distilled vinegar for shorter marination time). Tofu, vegetables or paneer can be tossed into the marinade just before grilling. Use the marinade to baste over the grill.
This is an excellent marinade. I have made similar ones, but never with the cilantro. Nice touch (even if it does make it a strange color :) ) Chicken turned out moist and juicy and had lots of flavor.