Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is yummy, not healthy, but I wanted an authentic tea party recipe as I'm having one for a recuperating friend. I'll make it gluten-free vegan (GFV) and a bit healthier by using GFV "cream cheese", halving the salt, omitting the food coloring, and serving it on GF bread. The original recipe comes from Louisville's Courier-Journal: "The famous cucumber spread was, of course, created by one of our city's most famous residents, Jennie C. Benedict. Setting the highest of culinary standards, "Miss Jennie" was also a successful businesswoman, a writer who for a time served as editor of The Courier-Journal's Household section, and an important community volunteer. ... Probably the most intriguing recipe of all is that which keeps Miss Jennie's name on Louisville lips. Here is the version supplied by cookbook author and former Courier-Journal food editor Ronni Lundy. It is the one that Jennie C. Benedict would most likely have included in her book."
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons cucumber juice
- 1 tablespoon onion juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (a few grains)
- 2 drops green food coloring
- To get the juice, peel and grate a cucumber, then wrap in a clean dish towel and squeeze juice into a dish.
- Discard pulp.
- Do the same for the onion.
- Mix all ingredients with a fork until well blended. Using a blender will make the spread too runny.