Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From the Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3 lbs lean beef chuck, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced or 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- About 4 hours before dinner, heat the shortening in a large skillet until melted.
- Brown meat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme, scraping the bottom of the skillet well.
- Turn into a 2-quart casserole.
- Pour the beef broth and wine over the meat.
- Cover and bake in a 325° oven for 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms and onions.
- If the mixture seems dry, add more beef broth and wine in equal portions.
- Continue to bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until the meat is tender.
- Remove and skim the fat from the gravy, if necessary.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.