Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
VARIATION: Chocolate Almond- Add 1 cup roasted whole almonds (salted or unsalted) after the ice cream stiffens, about 2 minutes before it is done, then continue to freeze until the ice cream is ready.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light anf fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Add the cream, vanilla and salt and whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.
for some reason my ice cream turned out grainy - i think it might be because i melted the chocolate first and whisked in the milk - even though it didn't turn out like i expected - i will certainly try again very soon!
Excellent chocolate recipe. I was looking for one more "child oriented" as the chocate taste on this one was very rich and luscious. Excellent for a dinner party for adults. I am keeping this one for me!
This recipe is for True Chocolate Lovers Only! Intense flavor and creamy deliciousness! I began this recipe using Unsweetened Baker's squares and melting it in the top of a double boiler. From there followed the step exactly as directed by the posting chef. There isn't a thing I would change about this recipe except perhaps to make more! This recipe makes 1 quart....and believe me, it won't last long : ) Thank you for sharing this recipe with us on Zaar!