Recipe by 89240
VARIATION: Chocolate Almond- Add 1 cup roasted whole almonds (salted or unsalted) after the ice cream stiffens, about 2 minutes before it is done, then continue to freeze until the ice cream is ready.
Top Review by chefamy
for some reason my ice cream turned out grainy - i think it might be because i melted the chocolate first and whisked in the milk - even though it didn't turn out like i expected - i will certainly try again very soon!
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light anf fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Add the cream, vanilla and salt and whisk to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.