Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Are Ben & Jerry two of your best friends? Then try this copycat ice cream recipe! (Prep time includes LOTS of chilling time.)
- 1⁄4 cup shaved semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup fresh bing cherry, , halved and pitted (, you may use canned cherries, but be sure to drain the syrup)
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- Place the shaved chocolate flakes and the cherries in separate bowls; cover and refrigerate.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.
- Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend; add chilled chocolate and cherries and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturers instructions.
This is a great recipe. It's actually from Ben & Jerry's "Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book". Make sure to cut the cherries in not too big pieces, otherwise you get big chunks of frozen fruit in your mouth (cold!).
This was just OK for us. It didn't have as intense a bing cherry flavor as we anticipated.
I made this for my dad for Father's Day and it went over with everyone so well. It tastes like the real thing!