Recipe by Derf
This recipe is in about its third or fourth generation, passed down from Grandma to Mom to Me. It became my children's favorite, and now my grandchildren love it. It was a staple in each household, with or without the hamburger. The children named it "Belly Buster" because they always ate too much when we had it. Freezes well.
Top Review by Lea Evans
This recipe was a sort of 'mock' lasagne. I reduced the amount of tomato's by 8 oz because my husband is sensitive to them. I added a can of olives, and some parmessan cheese. I added some shredded jack cheese in with the meat, onions, etc. Then I cooked the casserole for 20 minutes, then added slices of White American cheese on the top, and cooked it for an additional 10 minutes so the cheese could melt. All in all, it passed the 'family test'. Thank you! Lea Evans
- 1 (16 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2-1 lb lean hamburger
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped medium (optional)
- 2 -3 cloves crushed garlic (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice,cut tomatoes in half or 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup (Grandma & Mom used real grated cheese)
- 2 -4 cups grated cheddar cheese, or slices to cover top of casserole
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- This recipe can be made vegetarian, leave out the hamburger and add 2 cups of fresh mixed vegetables,i.e. broccoli, mushrooms,spinach, carrots, etc.
- Cook elbow macaroni "Al dente",according to instructions on box,drain, add to large casserole.
- Scramble fry hamburger with spanish onion and garlic, if using,until no longer pink, drain any fat through colander, add drained mixture to casserole.
- Add cheese soup, no water, to casserole.
- Add tomatoes to casserole.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix thoroughly, in casserole, to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Spread grated or sliced cheddar evenly over top of casserole.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, bake, uncovered for 30 minutes or util bubbling around edges of casserole and cheese topping is melted and slightly browned.
- Serves 4-6 or with a salad 8.