Recipe by Garlic Gnome
Simple filling meal I created based on a friend's favourite food suggestions. Can be stretched easily for a budget and should give you ideas...... assume one pork chop per person for recipe info, but this dish is quite flexible. All amounts can be adjusted.
- 8 cups cabbage (one 8 inch thick head of cabbage cut up into roughly 1 inch pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions or 1 large onion, diced
- 2 lbs pork (thickness you like) or 8 boneless pork chops
- 10 ounces portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces creamy Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 16 ounces four-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄2 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, divided 3 ways
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- in large pot add enough oil to cover bottom, add onions, cabbage, salt and pepper, garlic. Cook on high for a few minutes stirring until everything is coated in oil and warm then cover and simmer to wilt down cabbage/onions to about half or to near tender. Mix in potato flakes and set aside.
- in large saute pan add oil and get very hot. Quickly brown pork cops on both sides for good colour (don't have to cook through) Set aside.
- In 13x9 baking dish with cover (or foil) oil bottom, add half cabbage mix, layer pork chops, then dressing, then mushrooms, remaining cabbage, top with cheese and sprinkle with oregano.
- bake covered for about 45 minutes to an hour until bubbly, then uncover and cook until cheese browns a bit.