Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
If you choose not to use the food coloring, the salad will be pale pink.
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise, plus more for garnishing
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- salt and white pepper
- red food coloring, if desired
- boston lettuce leaves or bibb lettuce
- Combine 2 cups of the tomato juice, 1 cup of the mayonnaise, the onion, pineapple, cream cheese, cottage cheese, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco in a blender. Blend until smooth and pour into a bowl. Combine the remaining tomato juice and mayonnaise in the blender and blend until smooth. Add enough food coloring so that it is the color of a very ripe tomato -- otherwise, it will be pale pink. Add it to the mixture in the bowl and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper and more Tabasco if needed.
- Pour into a 2-inch-deep baking dish (use a sieve if you want a smoother texture) and freeze.
- Arrange lettuce on 10 salad plates and place 1 or 2 scoops of frozen tomato on top. Add a dollop of mayonnaise if desired.