Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A more modern variation of a traditional British dessert.
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 ounces caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 10 fluid ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 5 fluid ounces heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 -2 sponge cake, sliced (depending on size)
- 2 tablespoons pear preserves
- 1 (15 ounce) can pears (in juice)
- shredded chocolate
- Cream the egg yolks, sugar and cocoa until fluffy.
- Bring milk and vanilla to the boil (barely), pour over egg mixture, whisk and add the rum.
- Strain mixture into a heavy based or double saucepan, stir over gentle heat until custard thickens.
- Fold in most of the cream.
- Slice the sponge cakes, spread with pear preserves, and arrange cake slices and pears in the base of a serving bowl, using some of the pear juice to moisten sponges.
- Cover with chocolate sauce, decorate with remaining cream, shredded chocolate, almonds and the cherry.