Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted in response to a request for vegetarian OAMC recipes. This recipe is from Entertaining on Ice by T. Haywood.
- 4 large bell peppers (or 6 small ones)
- 2 teaspoons harissa or 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
- 9 ounces couscous
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake whole peppers for 1/2 an hour. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Pour 10 oz very hot water into a bowl and stir in harissa or red chili flakes; add couscous and raisins and let soak for 15 minutes.
- Saute garlic in 4 tbsp olive oil.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and be sure all the grains are separated; then pour over the oil and garlic.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add additional olive oil if mixture seems dry.
- Slice the top of the cooled peppers and remove all seeds.
- Gill each pepper with couscous mixture and pack into a shallow freezer/oven proof baking dish.
- To freeze: cover well with foil or saran wrap, label and freeze.
- To serve: Defrost overnight; Drizzle with olive oils and then cover with foil; heat in oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.