4 hrs 20 mins
Nancy's Pantry's Note:
The flavors of Thailand are the inspiration for this fresh take on stuffed peppers. The size of the peppers you use will determine the size slow cooker needed. You will need a 5 1/2-6 qt. cooker to fit four (or more). Recipe is from my Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large green bell peppers (or red)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup unsalted dry-roasted cashews, chopped (or peanuts)
- 1/2 cup fresh Thai basil, chopped (or cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, halved and cut away from the seed
- 1Slice off the tops of the peppers and remove and discard the seeds and membranes. Removing the stems, chop the pepper tops and set aside. Arrange the peppers upright in a 5 1/2-6 quart slow cooker.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and chopped pepper tops, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3In a medium-size bowl, combine the onion mixture, rice, coconut, cashews, basil, lime juice and sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chop one half of the mango and add to the stuffing. Mix well and spoon into the pepper cavities, packing it lightly. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape.
- 4Cut remaining mango half into thin slices and use to garnish the peppers when they are ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bell Peppers Stuffed With Coconut Rice and Mangoes
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.0
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 8.1 g