Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The flavors of Thailand are the inspiration for this fresh take on stuffed peppers. The size of the peppers you use will determine the size slow cooker needed. You will need a 5 1/2-6 qt. cooker to fit four (or more). Recipe is from my Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker cookbook.
- 4 large green bell peppers (or red)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry-roasted cashews, chopped (or peanuts)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Thai basil, chopped (or cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, halved and cut away from the seed
- Slice off the tops of the peppers and remove and discard the seeds and membranes. Removing the stems, chop the pepper tops and set aside. Arrange the peppers upright in a 5 1/2-6 quart slow cooker.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and chopped pepper tops, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the onion mixture, rice, coconut, cashews, basil, lime juice and sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chop one half of the mango and add to the stuffing. Mix well and spoon into the pepper cavities, packing it lightly. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours, until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape.
- Cut remaining mango half into thin slices and use to garnish the peppers when they are ready to serve.