Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My notes on this say "Fancy side dish". Not sure where I got it...definetly not one of mine though because fresh artichokes are not something I work with often.
- 4 large artichokes, outer leaves removed
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes, undrained (no salt added)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Trim 1" off top and stem of each artichoke.
- Dip in lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil.
- reduce heat to low and add artichokes. Simmer 30 minute Drain and cool slightly. Cut in half lenghtwise. Scoop out and discard center of artichoke.
- Heat oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in bell peppers, bread crumbs parsley, oregano and black pepper.
- Stuff artichokes with bell pepper mixture.
- Spray 9" square baking dish with nonstick spray. Arrange artichokes in dish and set aside.
- Combine tomatoes with juice in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Pour tomatoe sauce over artichokes. Top with parmesan.
- Cover and bake 30 minute or until lightly browned.