Recipe by Rosanne27
As the only vegetarian in the family, I've had to develop quick meals I can whip up, while everyone else eats their non-vegetarian meal. This is one of my all-time favorites, and is pretty substantial.
Top Review by mamashakesit
I was looking for a way to use my dozens of canned beans. This has now become one of my favorite recipes and has me wanting to learn more vegetarian dishes. I've been using fresh garlic and pumping up both that and the basil. I've also made this with kidney beans, which looks really pretty when used with a yellow bell pepper. Easy, tasty and filling! And healthy!
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canned navy beans
- 1⁄2 cup water
- nonstick cooking spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- fresh basil (dried works, too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut pepper into bite-size pieces. Usually, I cut it into strips, and then cut each strip into 3 or 4 pieces, depending on the length.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick spray, and add pepper.
- Add beans, and turn on medium/medium-high heat.
- Let heat, then add seasoning. I just shake on the salt, pepper and garlic powder so that the pepper and beans have a light covering (don't want to over do it, though!). Add as much basil as desired-- I personally add up to 5 basil leaves.
- Mix ingredients together, lightly, making sure peppers get most of the heat.
- Add about 1/4 cup of water to the mixture, to prevent burning, and let cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until peppers are tender, adding another 1/4 cup of water about half-way through. Take off heat when any remaining water has completely evaporated-- the more you can cook it without water (without burning), the better.
- Put mixture in bowl, and enjoy.