Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This makes a perfect light supper or brunch.
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 5 slices white bread
- butter, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 2 cups full-fat milk or 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch square baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet.
- Add in bell pepper and saute until JUST tender (about 3-4 minutes).
- Mix in green onions and saute for about 1 minute longer.
- Spread softened butter thinly on bread slices.
- Cut bread into 1-inch pieces, then layer half of the bread pieces in the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Cover with half of the cheddar cheese, then half of the bell pepper/onion mixture.
- Repeat layering with bread, cheese and bell pepper mixture.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk with eggs, Dijon mustard, dry mustard, salt and pepper until well blended, then pour over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and the top is browned.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese the last 10 minutes of baking.