Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is a family stuffed bell pepper recipe that my step-brother and I modified while sharing an apartment in college. As poor college students, it appealed to our sense of frugality. As lazy college students, our modification was appealing because it's easier and faster than stuffing bell peppers and sticking them in the oven!
Bell Pepper Mixture
- 1 -2 bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 18 ounces ketchup
- 8 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons louisiana hot sauce (I use Crystal brand)
- 4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 ounces water
- 3 cups hot cooked white rice
- In a medium saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Heat over medium heat until smooth, stirring as necessary. Cover when not stirring to avoid splashes.
- While sauce is heating, combine onion and bell pepper in a skillet, heating over medium heat to desired tenderness.
- Also while sauce is heating, brown ground beef in another skillet. Drain grease when meat is cooked through.
- When everything is done, serve meat and vegetables with sauce over rice.
I made this several years ago and each summer I do a search to find it again! Is easy and all of my family loves it. It's in my recipe book NOW
This sauce is awesome! I deviated slightly from the recipe by using purchased meatballs to cook with the peppers & onions, and had to use a couple teaspoons of regular mustard instead of ground. But that sauce, WOW! We were licking the plates. Thanks for this easy, delicious recipe.
My sister-in-law doesn't even like green peppers but had seconds of this! My 2 yr old niece also gobbled it down like it was going out of style and didn't have room for dessert.