Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adaptation of a Pennsylvania Dutch Recipe. Great for those whose want to lose the mayonnaise in traditional slaws. Original was published in Cooking Light Magazine.
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- black pepper
- Combine the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot and green pepper in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, vinegar and water; whisk.
- Salt and pepper the slaw.
- Pour wet ingredients over the slaw.
- Toss well to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
Outstanding recipe! I did not miss the mayonnaise one bit. The dressing for this recipe was tart and tangy, but balanced by the sugar. I liked the creative and eye appealing use of red and green cabbage. It was delightful, and I will be using this recipe again. Thanks for sharing!