Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Family Circle 10/07.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into thin slices
- 2 green peppers, seeded, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1 (14 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium bowl, whisk 1 cup water, ketchup, soy sauce and pepper; gradually whisk in flour.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Stir in water-ketchup mixture and bring to a boil; add chicken and the onion. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peppers and mushrooms and simmer, covered, for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Server with rice.