Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
In the small town of Dorchester, New Brunswick there is a famous restaurant called the Bell Inn. This is the recipe for their equally famous biscuits!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Mix together the first five ingredients.
- Cut in the shortening until you have a mixture that resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix the sugar and milk together and then stir in gently into the shortening and flour mixture.
- Shape into biscuits and bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes.
Makes a very light,airy,stickey dough. Very hard to work with. Didn't think the biscuits were anything special.