Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the way they do Beans and Rice in Belize. The recipe is from a native Belizean. It is a wonderful addition to Caribbean chicken and fish.
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 piece of salt meat (cut into small pieces)
- Soften beans (soak first) with garlic.
- Boil until tender and whole, adding salt meat (previously boiled to soften) when almost tender.
- Add the milk, onion and seasonings.
- Wash rice, then add to the beans.
- Cook over gentle heat until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir gently with a fork, and add a little water from time to time until rice is cooked.
- Serve hot with a meat dish.
- (Some favorite meat dishes with rice and beans are: stuffed baked chicken, stew chicken, stew fish, fried fish or meat balls).
I love "rice and beans," not to be confused with "beans and rice." This recipe is definitely for the former, and it is delicious. Followed the recipe to a T. It took me 2 hours to cook the beans, and an additional 15 minutes to cook the rice. For anyone interested, don't drain the beans after cooking--use the same water to cook the rice (that's what makes it "rice and beans").
I thought the instructions were very confusing and need to be rewritten. My rice and beans came out good, but I wasn't sure if I was doing it right because the instructions were so vague.