Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is traditional throughout the Yucatan peninsula.
Make and share this Belizean Style Salbutes recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 8 corn tortillas (4 in. or 6 in.)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 habanero peppers or 2 serrano chilies, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green cabbage or 1 1⁄2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- To a small frying pan over high heat, add 1 inches of vegetable oil and heat to 375 degrees F. Fry tortillas, one at a time, until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add sliced onion and 1/4 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 4 minutes. Add oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken and broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a steady simmer, and cook, partially covered, for 10 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine chiles, lime juice, orange juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt. Set aside.
- To assemble: Divide turkey-onion mixture among the 8 tortillas, then top each with avocado, cabbage. Serve with serrano-citrus sauce.