Recipe by Debbie R.
This is from Just Food. I haven't tried it yet. In Belize they use a small piece of salt pork in it and omit the salt. I think that could be very good. I have no idea how long it takes to make.
- 8 ounces dried red kidney beans
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or a piece of salt pork)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans in water, and soak overnight.
- Put beans in pot; add onions, bell pepper, garlic, and enough water to boil until beans are tender and whole. Add coconut milk, and seasonings.
- Add rice to beans, and cook over gentle heat until liquid is absorbed. Stir gently with a fork, and add a little water as necessary, until rice is cooked.