Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I bought a recipe book by a local women's group on my recent trip to Belize (Silly Bug & Bittle Recipes) and this one sounds like something I would like. I love bread pudding and this looks easy and tasty. The original recipe called for condensed milk but wikipedia says that it's the same thing as sweetened condensed milk. The recipe did not include baking time. I'll update the recipe after I make it or someone leaves the baking time in their review.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 6 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 14 1⁄2 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Tear bread into pieces and place in large bowl.
- Pour butter over bread, then add both types of milk, vanilla, eggs and water. Mix well.
- Add sugar mixture and mix well with hands. Stir raisins into mixture.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Pour mixture into 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray and bake until brown on top.
- NOTE: The original recipe calls for an ungreased 9x12 pan, but it seems to me that a pan coated in cooking spray would be much easier to work with when serving.
love this recipe, just how my mom use to make it.... yam yam, love when it sticks on the baking pan... an crispy.."dont grease pan"