Recipe by karen
I bought a recipe book by a local women's group on my recent trip to Belize (Silly Bug & Bittle Recipes) and this one sounds like something I would like. I love bread pudding and this looks easy and tasty. The original recipe called for condensed milk but wikipedia says that it's the same thing as sweetened condensed milk. The recipe did not include baking time. I'll update the recipe after I make it or someone leaves the baking time in their review.
Top Review by Nancy B.
I ate this often while living in Belize. It was delicious warm or cold. WE sliced it like bread and ate it with our hands like a heavy slice of bread. IT is great for a heard breakfast.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 6 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 14 1⁄2 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Tear bread into pieces and place in large bowl.
- Pour butter over bread, then add both types of milk, vanilla, eggs and water. Mix well.
- Add sugar mixture and mix well with hands. Stir raisins into mixture.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Pour mixture into 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray and bake until brown on top.
- NOTE: The original recipe calls for an ungreased 9x12 pan, but it seems to me that a pan coated in cooking spray would be much easier to work with when serving.