Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From "The Great California Cookbook". I'll have to try this soon. It looks delicious!
- 3⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 jalapenos or 1 habanero pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 chipotle chile, minced
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1 (3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except the chicken, salt and pepper into a stock kettle and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cut the backbone out of the chicken, then butterfly.
- Lightly season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Apply sauce to both sides of chicken lavishly and cook slowly at 275 for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Raise heat to 400 for 15 minutes and serve immediately with natural juices.