1 hr 25 mins
Kazakh fried pasties filled with meat. From Time-Life's Foods of the World's book Russian Cooking (1969).Posting this in reply to a request in the Eastern European Forum. I have not made this but it reads interesting and someday I will make it. When I do,I will probably add a few more seasonings or herbs to the filling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl soften yeast in 1/4 cup of the lukewarm milk with the sugar. Let it stand a few minutes, stir to dissolve completely; set it aside for 5-8 minutes till it's foamy.
- 2Pour flour into a deep mixing bowl & make a well in it. Pour the yeast mix & remaining flour into the well and mix well, beating vigorously till a stiff dough forms.
- 3Remove dough to lightly floured board and knead about 10 minutes till dough is smooth & elastic.
- 4Place in buttered bowl, cover with towel & allow to rise about 45 minutes or until dough doubles in bulk.
- 5The Filling.
- 6Combine beef, onions, salt & pepper and mix well.
- 8On lightly floured board roll out dough to 1/8" thickness & cut out 16 circles with a 4-1/2 inch cookie cutter.
- 9Place 5 teaspoons of filling on each circle & moisten the edges with cold water.
- 10Fold up all edges of the dough, enclosing the filling & making a flat, round cake.
- 11Heat oven to 250 degrees.
- 12In a 10 to 12 inch heavy skillet set over high heat melt 3 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons oil till hazy;.
- 13Add half of the flat cakes & cover the pan.
- 14Reduce heat to moderate and cook cakes about 10 minutes on each side and are crisp & brown.
- 15Transfer to ovenproof platter and keep warm while you cook the other half of the cakes, adding remaining butter & oil to pan if needed.
- 16Serve at once.
Nutritional Facts for Beliashi
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 903.1
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.1 mg
- Sodium 803.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 44.6 g