1/2 Photos of Belgrader Brot (German Christmas Cookies)
Although the name refers to another city, these cookies are actually German in origin. These make a great addition to a cookie assortment. They are a nice contrast to all the buttery or chocolatey goodies and are delicious in their own right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 2 ounces candied citron peel, minced
- 2 ounces candied orange peel, minced
- 11 ounces unblanched almonds, ground
for the icing
- 1Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
- 2Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 3In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy.
- 4Add sugar gradually and continue beating until thickened and pale.
- 5Mix together the dry ingredients.
- 6Gradually add to egg mixture and mix until combined.
- 7Fold in lemon rind, candied fruit and almonds.
- 8This dough is soft and sticky, so either oil or wet your hands before handling.
- 9Divide dough into thirds.
- 10On the baking sheet, form the dough into three long flat "loaves" spaced a few inches apart to allow for spreading. If your baking sheet is large enough, it will all fit on one sheet.
- 11Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- 12While the cookies are baking, make the icing by combining the ingredients. You should have a spreadable consistency.
- 13Remove cookies from the oven and let stand a few minutes.
- 14Ice the loaves while they are still on the baking sheet.
- 15Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice the loaves crosswise into approximately 1/2-3/4 inch slices. Do not wait too long before slicing, as the icing will flake off if it cools too much before you slice.
- 16Allow to cool on the baking sheet. These freeze well and keep well.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgrader Brot (German Christmas Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (1220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 798.7
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 495.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 73.4 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied citron peel