Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These easy to make waffles are sure to impress your family or guests. They may be enjoyed anytime and are worth the extra time and effort. The waffles and syrup taste as good as they look. The waffles are crisp and tender, while the syrup is sweet, tart and tangy. For a super easy dessert, add vanilla ice cream to the waffles, which have been drizzled in raspberry lemon syrup to create an exceptional ice cream sandwich, so good.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, pure
- 3 eggs, large (separated)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh, sweet
- 1⁄4 cup oil (greasing waffle iron)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup, pure (use good quality)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh raspberry
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar (garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (garnish)
- To make the waffles, place the the flour, baking powder, icing sugar, oil, milk, vanilla and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Mix slowly until well blended.
- In a medium size bowl beat the egg whites and salt until they make soft peaks.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the batter, being careful not to over mix.
- Now for the last step gently fold the fresh raspberries into the batter.
- When your iron is heated, pour the batter onto the greased waffle iron and bake for 3 - 4 minutes, how long will depend on your waffle iron.
- The waffles should be crisp and golden brown when done.
- Keep the waffles warm in a low oven until ready to serve.
- To make the Raspberry Lemon Syrup, add the lemon juice, maple syrup, water, powdered sugar, cinnamon and allspice together in a small pot.
- Mix well and bring to a rapid boil, lower heat and simmer uncovered until ready to use. Stir occasionally.
- Just before serving the pancakes add the raspberries to the syrup.
- Plate the waffles, add some whipped cream if desired and drizzle with the raspberry lemon syrup.
Incredibly delicious! Made these waffles this morning and they were wonderful; especially with the raspberry maple syrup. I plan to make these waffles on Christmas morning as I will be spending time with my daughter and grandchildren -- they will love them! Thanks for this wonderful post. Made for the 1-2-3 tag, November, 2011.
We just purchased a waffle maker which was going cheap from Aldi's and this was the first recipe we tried it on. I only made the "batter" part of this recipe and my daughter loved it! So I think it may be the only recipe we use on the waffle maker if my daughter gets her own way. The technique was easy and wonderful. I "dressed" the waffles with fresh raspberry and a pre-purchased raspberry syrup which was given to use as a gift. Thank you so much Baby Kato.