Recipe by PaulaG
The State Fair of Texas serves Belian Waffles topped with powdered sugar and fresh sliced strawberries. They are out of this world and have been a State Fair tradition for years. This is my version of those wonderful waffles.
Top Review by dipper3
These are restaurant quality - they are quite a bit of work - specifically lots of pots to clean. The only thing I changed was the amount of yeast - since I did not have a jar I used one package (equivalent to 2 1/4 tsps) and it did not effect the recipe at all. This is the first waffle recipe I've tried yet and the next will be an easier version. Will save this for special occasions of if I know I have more time. Will try to modify to cut the amount of bowls use for prep.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the yeast over warm milk; stir to dissolve.
- Beat the egg yolks and add to yeast mixture along with vanilla.
- Blend together the flour, salt and sugar; add to liquid ingredients.
- Stir in the melted butter and combine well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Carefully fold beaten egg whites into batter and let the mixture stand in a warm place about 45 minutes or until it doubles in bulk.
- Using approximately 1/2 cup mix per waffle, pour into preheated waffle baker and bake according to manufacturers recommendations.
- Spoon fresh strawberries onto waffles and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.