The State Fair of Texas serves Belian Waffles topped with powdered sugar and fresh sliced strawberries. They are out of this world and have been a State Fair tradition for years. This is my version of those wonderful waffles.
- Sprinkle the yeast over warm milk; stir to dissolve.
- Beat the egg yolks and add to yeast mixture along with vanilla.
- Blend together the flour, salt and sugar; add to liquid ingredients.
- Stir in the melted butter and combine well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Carefully fold beaten egg whites into batter and let the mixture stand in a warm place about 45 minutes or until it doubles in bulk.
- Using approximately 1/2 cup mix per waffle, pour into preheated waffle baker and bake according to manufacturers recommendations.
- Spoon fresh strawberries onto waffles and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately.