Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Found online. Looks easy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour,sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a different medium-sized bowl, whisk together sour cream, egg yolks, margarine and extract.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring to form a lumpy batter.
- In a different medium-sized bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter until thoroughly mixed.
- Lightly spray the waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of batter (amount varies with the size of your iron) onto the hot iron and spread it almost to the corners of the grids.
- Close the lid and bake until the waffle is golden brown, its edges look dry and it does not stick to the grids-- about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the baked waffle to the warm oven,placing it directly on the rack so that it will stay crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with desired toppings.
I was looking for a recipe that did not contain oil, since I realized this morning that I was out. This recipe worked well. It was a bit more work than my normal waffle recipe, I don't usually beat the egg whites, and this took a lot of bowls to make. I also can't figure out how it would make 8 waffles, it only made 4 for me. However, the taste was very good. Thanks for saving my morning!