Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
South Beach Diet Phase 1
Make and share this Belgian Waffles recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat waffle iron. If no waffle iron is available, recipe can also be used for fluffy pancakes, but that is not as much fun!
- Beat eggs with electric mixer on high for 1 minute to make them light and fluffy. Add all other ingredients. Beat until smooth.
- Spray waffle maker with PAM or other cooking spray. Pour all batter, should fill bottom tray. Close and cook as usual for waffles.
- Top with Smart Spread or other butter substitute, a sprinkle of splenda, and/or some sugar free syrup. Serve with V8 for a complete and satisfying breakfast!
- For Phase 2, top with berries. You can also nuke blueberries and add some splenda to make your own blueberry syrup. Other P2 variations include adding one of the following: 1 T wheat germ, 1 T ground flax seed, 1/4 C oatmeal. You may also try using cottage cheese instead of some of the ricotta.
Light and tasty. I wish the name indicated there was no flour. I only "happened" to find it as I was looking for some recipes to use up some ricotta. It is a forgiving recipe, also. I was hand beating the eggs when I read that I was to do it with an electric mixer. So I whipped the dickens our of them and it worked fine. I am sure they will be even better when I do it the right way!
Made this recipe into pancakes, and they were delicious. I do not use artificial sweeteners if I can help it, so I subbed agave for the splenda.
These are SO good. I also make them as pancakes but I use a lot less Splenda & lots of cinnamon. I use fat free cottage cheese & use my immersion blender to get the texture nice & smooth. I use only about 1/4 tsp baking powder as these get quite puffy, and I use about 1/3 cup Eggbeaters & 3 tbsp ff cottage cheese. (1/2 cup Beaters is for the whole recipe but that was too much for my tummy!) I did try these as waffles at first but it made a MESS & I'm still not sure what I did wrong! UPDATE: Thank you to the poster for the optionals down below! I added 3 tbsp rolled oats into the batter & it was wonderful! Added fiber & nutrition with great taste. Thank you again for sharing!!