Crisp, yummy cookies which a lot of people seem to exchange around the holidays. I think the Italian verson contains anise.
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Place butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Cream together on med-low.
- Add vanilla and salt, increase speed to medium.
- Add eggs and mix until smooth.
- Decrease speed to low, add flour and mix well.
- Divide batter into 4 3/4 cup portions.
- Using one portion, drop batter on each corner of the grids.
- Close waffle maker and bake until steam no longer escapes (about 3-5 min).
- Carefully remove waffle from maker and allow to cool.
- Serve plain or with your favorite fruit filling and whipped cream.