1/4 Photos of Belgian-Style Seitan Stew With Dark Beer
This recipe was found in Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet. My hubby is a brewer, so I naturally gravitated toward this recipe. I think this recipe would be equally as good with sliced portabello mushrooms. It's all about the sauce, which is thick and delicious. The carmelized onions are what makes this so tasty, in my opinion. The note says to serve it over noodles and to wash it down with more of the beer that you use in the stew. I served it over mashed potatoes and a side of steamed broccoli and used (and drank) oatmeal stout. Yum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb seitan, cut into thin strips
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar or 1 tablespoon natural artificial sweetener
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seitan and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes, Set aside.
- 2Heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the brown sugar and cook, uncovered, and stirring frequently, until the onion is caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the flour, and cook, stirring for 1 or 2 minutes to remove the raw taste.
- 4Stir in the beer, molases, mustard, vinegar, thyme and bay leaf. Add the stock, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Add the seitan and simmer until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes.
- 6Remove the bay leaf and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
- 7Serve hot and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Belgian-Style Seitan Stew With Dark Beer
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.7
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 35.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar